7.11.2009

Mise en Abime

I was driving a winnebago on a stormy summer afternoon (?? I know, weird). Just after I came off an exit ramp (I think 275, but it was a weird and distorted 275), my window was bombarded with rain and it fogged up too fast for me to clear it. So I crashed into some trees. The winnebago got turned upside down and the rain, now a monsoon, came pouring in from a gaping hole in the side. Then I woke up, dazed, in my bed with water falling all over me. It took me a minute to gather myself and shake off the haze, but I realized that my waterbed had busted overnight and I was sleeping at the bottom with water gushing all around me. I got up, totally freaked out now, and tried to make some sense of this. Was I feeling the water in the winnebago because I was really feeling the water from my bed? I leave my room and shout for my mom. No answer. So I go into the living room with a crazy smile on my face about to tell her about this dream. She's sitting in a chair by a lamp, and I see only her silhouette. She says, "I was wondering how long it would take before you said anything about this." At first I thought perhaps she came in my room earlier and was upset that I, somehow, soaked my room in water in my sleep. Then she got up and pointed to a random pile of junk on the floor. "Why didn't you pick this up last night before you went to bed?!" Suddenly, I felt odd, and queasy, and it didn't feel right, this situation. She just kept staring at me, waiting for me to fess up. I turned around, all of a sudden realizing that I don't HAVE a waterbed and I ran back down the hall to confirm this. As soon as I opened the door, I woke up. For real this time. In my spring mattress non-water-filled bed, even more confused than before. But it was raining outside and my window was open and items were getting wet. Hmmm...still wondering if this is another dream, just a very prolonged and lucid one. Guess I'll never know.
Aren't dreams inside of dreams fabulously frightening? Mise en abime...Just thought I'd share.

No comments:

Post a Comment